Saturday, September 25, 2010

GO ABC LIONS!!

Thursday night was the first volleyball game of the season and WE WON, 3-0! I was so proud of the guys because they played really well. We've had nothing but practices for 3 straight weeks now so I thought a game would pump them up to play hard and play well in practice but for some reason it did the opposite. I was frustrated all week because they were showing up late, goofing off, and not performing like I know they could. Somehow they pulled through anyway!
We did have a bit of an advantage since we were playing ABC staff and as of right now they aren't an actual team that has been practicing together or anything - just a random crowd who wanted to play some volleyball. Still, my team didn't play down to the staff's level. They played hard, kept their serves in, went after every ball, had some good spikes, and stayed out of the net (they struggle with this a lot!).
Friday's practice was 100 times better too. I think they have just been tired...a lot of the guys are night guards during the week on top of going to school which means they must stay up all night from 9 p.m. - 6 a.m. patrolling the campus then get to chapel at 7 a.m. followed by classes!
I wish all of you could meet my team. They are a great group of guys. A few of them are already married with kids so it feels strange to be telling them what to do in practices, but they take it well. The rest of them are the normal college age group. I have about 15 guys who show up regularly to practice. It has taken awhile for us to get used to each other but I think after our VICTORY they accept me :) I'm excited for the rest of the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment