Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Devil's Street

There is a street in Lilongwe that is actually called Devil's Street. I was on this street today. Apparently, it is the only place you can buy tickets for a bus from Lilongwe, Malawi to Lusaka, Zambia. Thankfully, one of my volleyball players volunteered to take my roommates and me or I don't think we would have made it out in one piece. Why the Malawians call it a street, I don't know...there wasn't a flat spot a car could drive on anywhere in sight. The road is narrow with no sidewalks but streams of people bustling about on both sides. Music was blaring, shop owners were shouting, and of course every eye was on us. I'm guessing not too many white people venture down Devil's Street! As long as you ignore their shouts and stares you'll probably be okay but it is always good to have a local go places like this with you. There were clothing and trinket shops, bars, air time kiosks, food vendors, etc. One bar's name was Woody Wood Pecker Bar & Drink Shop, I thought that was kind of funny. Thanks to Bright we were in and out in less than 20 minutes, bus tickets in hand. So, Saturday morning at 6:00 a.m. I'll be on a bus to Lusaka, Zambia. Please pray for traveling mercies for me and my roommates. There are a lot of unknowns when you are traveling anywhere and perhaps more when it's a third world country.

Tonight is ABC staff's Bible Study. I forget if I told you that we are reading through the parables. Last week we read Luke 15, the prodigal son. After our study I realized that I identify with the older son in many ways but mostly that I sometimes find myself treating my relationship with the Father as a reward for deserving behavior when instead, like the father's loving response to the undeserving younger son, salvation is entirely a gracious gift from God! It was a comforting reminder for me because I would so quickly fall short if that weren't true.

Two more days of school then an entire week off! I am anxious for a break. I better enjoy the time away to the fullest because when I come back I have the feeling all heck is going to break loose. I sent letters home today to parents who haven't paid their first two tuition installments yet. Their deadline is Monday, October 18th; if the balance isn't paid off then the kids won't be allowed to come to school. I must have sent out 30-40 letters too. If you remember please pray for the families who are struggling to afford the tuition. There are already several families that the school has agreed to give scholarships to, but if we keep waiving tuition there won't be enough funds to sustain the staff or facilities that we have.

There is also a big need for a high school at ABCCA. Right now students in grades 10-12 are using a cyber school program called Northstar. It's very expensive for us and it's not ideal for the students especially when the power frequently goes out during the day and they can't get online. Hopefully, by the end of the month we will be connected to generator power, but parents and students both are still anxious for a regular classroom setting.


I'd love to hear from you so leave a comment or e-mail me at asvancamp@gmail.com!

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment