Monday, October 4, 2010

Lilongwe Wildlife Center

Here's a little chichewa for you to practice:

Muli bwanji (moo lee bwon gee)? - Hi, how are you?
Ndili bwino, kaya inu (n deelee bwee nu, kiya eenu)? - I am fine, and you?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hmm let's see, well this Friday was reading day at ABCCA. All the kids and teachers dressed up as their favorite character in a book and spent the whole day reading books and doing fun activities. It was a nice break from the usual routine plus all the kids looked so cute in their costumes!

This weekend my roommates and I decided to get off campus and try to do a little exploring around Lilongwe. We ended up at Lilongwe Wildlife Center about 6-7km away (we didn't get very far). The place was really small at least in comparison to zoos we have in the States, but we still got to see some cool stuff.


We were there during the animals feeding time so we got to see everything they had but a leopard. Surprisingly, my favorite was the hyaena (only because we didn't see the leopard). It was much bigger than I thought it would be. I guess I always pictured the hyaenas from The Lion King that were really scrawny and puny compared to the lions, but this guy was bigger than a full grown dog.




We saw a one eyed lioness whose hind legs were disfigured by disease making it really difficult for her to walk. She'll stay at the center for life instead of being released back into the wild (the ultimate goal of the wildlife center). We also saw baboons, monkeys, a python curled up in an old tire (gross!), and a crocodile.




My computer battery is about to die...better go!





1 comment:

  1. Moni,
    Muli bwanji?
    Ndikukhulopilira kuti uli bwino!
    Ndakusowa
    Tsalani bwino

    My chichewa may leave something to be desired, (so does my english for that matter) but I did the best I could.

    Thanks for the post...keeping us up to date on your adventures in Malawi. Oh to be young again and free to traverse the globe and see the sights.
    The Lord bless you and keep and cause His face to shine on you and give you peace.

    How about some pix on the blog for a better feel of the surroundings?

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete